As we prepare to gather for Thanksgiving meals with family and friends, we often think of those who may not have the same opportunities or access to nutritious healthy meals during the holidays and throughout the year. Through various hunger relief programs, the Y provides more than 40,000 meals to thousands of families.
Here are some of the ways the Y provides nutritious meals to members of our communities:
• Breakfast, lunch and a snack are served to 3,000 children in YMCA early learning classrooms.
• Healthy snacks are provided for more than 4,000 afterschool program participants at more than 50 locations, with dinner offered at high-need sites.
• Weekend food packs are provided for more than 400 low-income children and their families at six afterschool sites.
• 35,000+ lunches are served during summer and holiday school breaks at many low-income apartment complexes and extended stay motels in areas surrounding our Ys.
• Lunch and snacks are provided at no charge when needed to thousands of day campers at Y branches each summer.
• A free produce distribution program, in conjunction with the Atlanta Community Food Bank, serves more than 800 families annually through the Villages at Carver Family Y.
In order for children to reach their full potential, their basic needs must be met. The Y works to identify ways to support children and families in our community, including hunger relief efforts. If you would like to support programs like this, contact your local Y for volunteer opportunities, or make a donation at ymcagive.org.